Page 1 of 1

SQL Based DB

PostPosted: Tue 1. Mar 2011, 17:20
by Adri
Hi there,

First of all congrats on the software ;)

A cool feature would be the possibility of using a remote DB, that way, a portal can access the data straight away without any import or export.

Also the possibility of working on several computer at the same time.

That rise a problem of sync I guess, tho with Hibernate or else, this is easily dealt with.

Cheers ;)

Re: SQL Based DB

PostPosted: Tue 1. Mar 2011, 20:00
by Andreas Rudolph
Hi Adri,

at first, I'd like to say welcome to our sweet little project and also thanks for your suggestions.

Adri wrote:A cool feature would be the possibility of using a remote DB, that way, a portal can access the data straight away without any import or export.

I also like that idea. This approach would improve flexibility a lot. For example the integration of properties into a website would become much cleaner than it is now.

Adri wrote:Also the possibility of working on several computer at the same time.

With the currently developed version 1.0, it will be possible to access the database from everywhere in the network. The ImmoTool-Server (based on Jetty & eXist) can be installed in the local company network or at any dedicated server (or vServer) in the internet. That makes it possible, that different users may work with one database at the same time.

Adri wrote:That rise a problem of sync I guess, tho with Hibernate or else, this is easily dealt with.

ImmoTool makes use of eXist. It's XML-based approach is not compatible with SQL-based relational databases. We're planning to publish a SQL-schema, that allows a mapping between OpenEstate-XML and OpenEstate-SQL. Based on these specification, a synchronization between ImmoTool's database and a remote SQL-server will become possible. Perhaps Hibernate could become helpful for this...

At the moment we're focused on finishing ImmoTool 1.0. I'm afraid that we will not find the time to focus on that 'SQL/XML' issue before version 1.0 is released.